Thursday, August 7, 2014

Dayshaun | "Something Amazing!"

I posted previously about one of my favorite children at the Red Shield, Hannifah Brown and I wanted to take the opportunity to talk about a young boy with the brightest imagination I've ever encountered! Dayshaun! 

Dayshaun was seven years old when I met him and I worked with him closely on the "Amplified" art exhibition project! I was naturally drawn to him because he was the most engaged child drawing! I approached him and asked him what he was working on. With his hand still racing away, he looked up with huge bright eyes and simply said: "Something Amazing!" He then went on to ask me to hand him the glitter glue that was sitting on the table and told me to help him! In that time we talked about all that he wanted on the poster board he was working on. He went on to ask me what my name was, I told him. He asked me how to spell it. I told him. He then went to find another bright color and wrote my name on the poster and his name and numerous Spongebob Squarepants characters! He worked feverishly on his art work the entire hour we had and was so excited to say that he had completed his work! 

I can't explain how happy this made me! This adorable little boy was still so passionate about doing something so simple. Even though most of the children were more interested in playing the Wii that the organization provided in the game room, or joining the pre-teens who were on YouTube or Facebook. No Dayshaun was satisfied with just a few markers, crayons, and glitter and a blank slate! A chance to create "Something Amazing!"
 









No comments:

Post a Comment