Thursday, July 10, 2014

Answering calls

Answering phones for a non profit to many seem like a job of insignificance. How ever the task though not a arduous one, holds immense importance. While answering calls for the volunteer office I am many times the first impression of broad street ministry an individual looking to volunteer encounters.
The importance of my engagement in answering calls came to me while speaking to a man looking to volunteer somewhere where can spend his excess time productively to help others.  By not having step foot through our doors or knowledge of the many services broad street ministry provides, I was this mans first impression of what the organization represents. 
As I began to explain our services, mail, braking bread, clothing closets, personal care, and the art therapy table, he expressed his excitement.  “ I can tell you really like what you do” he said to me. Expressing his excitement to volunteer had grown simply by speaking to me. Its at this moment I realized just how important the task of answering the phone can be. Genuine enthusiasm can be the difference between drawing that volunteer in and deterring them from your organization all together.


No comments:

Post a Comment