Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Thank You to UArts


One day I was sitting in my Script Analysis class at UArts trying to complete my reading assignment for the week. We had to read Angels in America by Tony Kushner, and while I knew it was going to be a wonderful play, it was the week before finals and I was tired of school and working so hard. But since we had a quiz, I read the play. This play changed life. It refreshed me on why I have been working so hard for my degree. The climax of the show is when the lead character says that gay people but band together and create the change in society they wish to see. Three years later, I still follow that statement. I am continuous inspired by the work they assign us in class and I think if UArts has taught me one thing, it is to create the artist by finding your authentic self and what will really drive you for the rest of your life. This is very important with Musical Theater because the entertainment/commercial market can get very superficial and appeal to what other people want from you. You try and appeal to different artists to hire you and so with that comes changing a little bit of who you truly are. So, our business of theater class makes it very important to determine your needs versus wants, your values versus goals, and makes it very clear about why you do this, what you want in life, and how you can achieve this. So much of this industry is chance and you really have to take one day or one contract at a time so I have so much to thank UArts for for making me such a grounded artist inspired to create new work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment