Thursday, June 26, 2014

ActionAIDS


My freshman year, I sat in my script analysis class and read Angels in America. Little did I know that it was a work of LGBT advancement. Written by Tony Kushner, this work propelled me to get outside the comfort of Broad Street. I spent my whole freshman year in the UArts bubble, not exploring the city, not really meeting anyone but the people I was in class with. After reading this play, I knew that I needed to take action. I googled the word volunteering in Philly and after digging through some stuff I came across ActionAIDS. Part of ActionAIDS has a buddy program. With this, they provide emotional support for someone dealing with HIV/AIDS. So, after a very thorough training, I became a buddy in the program and was assigned my first client. I really did not know what I was getting myself into. I was 18/19 years old at the time and just wanted to help in any way I could. I got the most miraculous man; super cool, super chill. He gave me hope to preserver and continue on seeing the beauty of life. I would visit him regularly at home where we would either watch a movie, hang with his cats, sometimes meet for lunch at Reading Terminal market, whatever the encounter desired. We would spend hours on the phone talking to each other about what was going on in his life. It was such a rewarding experience to not only work with him as a client, but to gain a friend. After three years of really getting to know a person, I got to see him grow both emotionally and physically and continue living with what once was a death sentence. The team at ActionAIDS gave me a community, a somewhat family, and a place where I could directly help out those in need. They are so supportive with their amazing services that offer people with HIV/AIDS and I would not have changed it for the world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment