Sunday, December 1, 2013

Cody Freeman's First Entry


Hello! My name is Cody Freeman and I am a senior Musical Theater Major at UArts. I am from Muncie, Indiana and moved here 3 1/2 years ago to go to UArts. It was a big change from slow small town life to one the biggest East Coast cities, but UArts has been wonderful! I realized Freshman year that I was focused on school and working, but nothing else. I felt like it was time to start giving back. I read Angels in America in my Script Analysis class and it discussed the need for community and awareness, specifically with LGBTQ folk. 

Therefore, I started volunteering with ActionAIDS where I was partnered with a person with AIDS where I could act as their emotional and social support. Last year, through AmeriCorp and UArts, I began an internship at the William Way LGBTQ Center, right off Broad Street. That has taught me many skills including: volunteer recruitment and retainments, event planning, fundraising, communication skills, and most importantly how I as an individual can help many people. 

This summer I will move to New York City in order to begin my professional theater career. Because of these four years, and through the support of the Student Life office and AmeriCorp, I feel equipped to live in New York and continue my volunteerism in that community. I believe it is so important, especially as artists, to give back and be thankful. Nothing makes me happier than people uniting for a cause and having a sense of community and I am so happy I have had the opportunity to do that while being a full time student these past four years. 

No comments:

Post a Comment